Friday, 28 November 2014

Week 12

Last week we had no class because of the fall break. This was the last week of class, we had our last lecture. It's sad that the semester is almost over. Time went way too fast. This week we got our assignment 2 marks. Class average was around 75%. Luckily, I got a better mark than that. Now assignment 3 is due on the 1st of December. So, the lecture started off with some tips for assignment 3. Then we started countability, we compared the size of two sets, we also worked with a real life example and then wrote the proof for that. We studied about countability and computability together. We learned that to enumerate all python functions we should make a table of halt. We made an argument named 'diagonalization'. Given a list of countably many functions, we can always construct an fx that is outside the list. There are uncountably many functions that cannot be programmed in Python or in any other computer language. In this lecture we also learned about mathematical induction which is a proof technique. I had already done this in MAT137 so I didn't have much difficulty understanding the concept. We did 2-3 proofs with this method. The last hour of the lecture was spent on the final exam review. Prof Larry told us the structure of the exam and the important topics which we could be tested on. This is the end of this course, I hope I get a good grade on the final exam.

4 comments: