Thursday, 9 October 2014

Week 5

Week 5 has been tough, we've been doing proofs! I found proofs really hard. This week, I was down with flu so I wasn't quite able to concentrate in class, due to this I didn't get a clear understanding of the concepts. We also had our term test this week. It wasn't either difficult or easy, it was some what in between. I was expecting an extremely hard test because assignment 1 was really difficult and after doing that I was pretty sure that I wasn't ready for the test and I would fail it, but now that we have our marks, its not that bad!

Well, because of the test, our lecture was for 2 hours and we learned about proving statements by proving that the contrapositive of the statement is false, we learned how to write a backward proof. Writing a proof backwards is a comparatively easy task. We also learned about proving by a contradiction. We did a proof which I found very interesting, it was:

There are 5 boxes in which there are in total 51 balls. Prove that there is box with at least 11 balls in it. 

I really liked this one. Then we did a proof related to prime numbers. This week was nice since we had only 2 hours of lecture but at the same time the week was tough for me too since I had a lot of work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment